Projects in Africa
Main content start
- Assessing the benefits and trade-offs of integrated systems for livestock performance, wildlife health, tick-borne disease risk, and related impacts to livelihoods through livestock and tourism income.
- Developing a business case and return-on-investment analysis for investing in watershed services, securing clean water and hydropower for the city of Nairobi while improving local farmers' livelihoods.
- Identified reforestation areas based on ecosystem services and their benefits to people.
- Developed a tool to prioritize investments in forest landscape restoration (ROOT).
- Using ecosystem service maps as baseline data for Strategic Environmental Assessment for proposed oil exploration within the Virunga World Heritage Site.
- Improving methods for targeting and optimizing water fund investments, while accounting for uncertainties and trade-offs.
- We are working with the De Leo lab at Stanford University to develop an easy-to-use tool for quantifying and mapping schistosomiasis risk associated with dam construction and reservoir management.
- Helped to create a spatial plan for the Primeras et Segundas marine reserve, as well as to integrate natural capital in its national planning system and national accounts.
- Developing an approach for optimizing land use planning by accounting for trade-offs among food production and other ecosystem services